Side-Bar

Home
History
Engagements
Achievements
Contact Us
Pictures
Videos
Bandmaster
Web Links
Patrons
e-mail Us

DMB QR Code

Site by Bongo

Derby Midshipmen Band Registered Charity Number 1088782

 

The Beginning - 1935

A group of young people from the Canal Street area of Derby decided to form their own Carnival Band after watching other bands performing in the Derby area.

 The first meeting was held in 1935 at the Victoria Inn, Midland Place. At this meeting they decided that the style of the uniform should be similar to that of a Naval Officer and that the name of the band should be the "Derby Midshipmen Carnival Band".

 In the beginning the instruments played comprised of drums, bugles and kazoos, the band performed for many charitable organisations who raised money for local Derby hospitals.
 The band's first professional engagement came in 1935 when the Manager of the Old Coliseum Picture House asked them to advertise the film "The Fleets in Port Again". The band charged £2.00 for this engagement, but when the manager of the picture house found out that the money was going towards the purchase of new uniforms he immediately increased it to £20.00 and the cheque was made payable direct to Smiths of Drewry Lane.

The band's first contest was on 18th June 1936 at Belper Carnival, not managing to get within the top three places did not dishearten the band as there first win was not far away. On 27th August at Lime Grove Carnival the Midshipmen won 1st place along with the Marching Prize and the Gold Medal for best Drum-major (Miss J Peachy).

In 1939 the band split up because of the war. The instruments were kept by the members in their various homes to reduce the risk of them being lost in bombing raids.

 In 1947 the drums and trumpets came out of the cellars, and as soon as clothing coupons were abolished, the band was able to have new uniforms.

 Next Page >>

 

All Information Correct At Time Of Publish - Copyright © 2016 The Derby Midshipmen Band